This article gives a product and general overview of Streamroot COMPASS™, our midstream multi-CDN selector for video streaming platforms.
Streamroot team has gained expertise in delivering client solution that brings QOE improvements to viewers all around the world.
After deploying its flagship product Streamroot DNA™ with major broadcaster all over the world, Streamroot decided to extend its product line with a QOS focused client side module:
Streamroot COMPASS™ is a client side CDN switcher that allows each viewer to source segments from the most adequate CDN on a per-segment basis, guaranteeing each viewer the best QOS possible.
Streamroot COMPASS™ will monitor the Quality of Service of each of your CDNs:
- Bandwidth on each video segment download.
- Latency on each video segment download.
- Error rate (based on segment request errors).
Based on these main QOS metrics, Compass will rank those CDN's from each viewer's perspective, making sure that each viewer is using the best CDN in their region/country or ISP.
COMPASS™ can also take business rules into account to overrule certain QOS-based decisions. If a CDN has a lower cost for you, you can force Compass to prioritise it more than the other (more on that in this article).
- Compass Client Integration: This article details how to integrate Streamroot COMPASS™ on a web player with any Streamroot compatible player & media engine.
- Configure Compass: This article details how to configure Streamroot COMPASS™ for your specific workflow and use case: setup Compass to point to your CDNs and input backend side configuration parameters.
- How do we calculate CDN Scores?: This article briefly explains how Streamroot Compass computes scores for each of your CDNs.